Re: Tuba players and weight

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason - tubacop on February 14, 2003 at 18:37:54:

In Reply to: Tuba players and weight posted by Aubrey Foard on February 14, 2003 at 17:24:07:

As an undergraduate, I went between 160 and 175. This included my time in ROTC and boot camp when I bottomed out at 155. After my first year teaching and getting out of the service, I went to 180. In the late 80's, I damaged my right elbow while lifting, and was prescribed steroids as part of the rehab. In the next 2 years, I gained about 40 pounds, and leveled in the 220's.

Later on, I tried various diets and combinations of weights and aerobics. (more weights than aerobics, unfortunately). I built both muscle and guts, because of the lack of aerobic exercise.

To the point, I play better standing than sitting in most situations. I simply have more room to expand. If I sit correctly, and use a tuba stand, (DEG tuba rest), I plkay better than when I use the chair or lap to rest the horn.

If there is a good side to my weight, I can run through doors alot easier. I am still goiong to loose 20 pounds this year.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: