Quick Drums & Tuba Review

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marc Bobro on February 16, 2003 at 11:55:18:

Here are some thoughts on the 2002 album "Mostly Ape" by the band Drums and Tuba. Overall, I like the music--a kind of cross-breeding of Mission of Burma, Gang of Four and early Pink Floyd, albeit with no vocals. Unfortunately, there is nothing terribly innovative here. Conflicting with its name, Drums & Tuba is guitar/synthesizer-driven. The bass (tuba) is content to follow the pace set by the guitar and synthesizer. The tuba could easily have been substituted with an electric bass in most cases. And, when the tubist plays something a bit more creative or instrument specific, it comes across as the kind of "bass line" one might find in concert band music. It is transparent that most if not all of the music on "Mostly Ape" was not written by the bassist (tubist), as the music is in bass-driven bands. Listen to some Joy Division and I think you will see what I mean. But I must point out that the tubist Brian Wolff does lay down a nice Miles Davis-like trumpet track near the end the album. Why could not have he played such melodies on the tuba on the other tracks and let the guitar and synthesizer support it? Nevertheless, the band is inspiring because it shows that the tuba can function nicely in a rock band. But so much more can be done and should be. Marc Bobro

Follow Ups: