Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tech advice...recording equip?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on February 17, 2003 at 10:17:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tech advice...recording equip? posted by Daryl on February 16, 2003 at 23:59:25:

I have experienced recordings made with the AT822 plus minidisk, and AT822 plus DAT. The end results were remarkably similar.
However !! neither produced the recording quality I was looking for; there was significant lesser quality than I have heard on commercially -produced CD's. The sound quality, particularly of brass instruments, was "deadened." Since I haven't analyized the waveforms, I can't say why; all I can say is it lacked "sparkle" and clarity. I want to set up my own home recording studio, and I want to do it right, within reason financially. I won't be happy with this level of quality that I have heard from DAT and minidisk. I don't know if it's the mike, the recording medium, or something else; I get the same results with these media as other people under similar conditions, that I've heard the results of. It is not too far from supposedly "professional" but really amateur studio recordings, either...what I want is a sound like high-level commercial CD's that I hear, like BSO recorded in a concert hall, or Mozart violin sonatas recorded apparently up close to each instrument. My concert hall recordings have this same "flatness" to them as my living-room recordings, so I don't think it's the hall.
Any ideas? Do I just need a couple of zillion-dollar mikes?

Mary Ann

Follow Ups: