Re: Helleberg History?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex C on February 17, 2003 at 12:42:23:

In Reply to: Helleberg History? posted by Andy on February 17, 2003 at 10:29:35:

You should look in a back issue of the ITEA (TUBA) Journals to see the two-part Helleberg articles by Richard Murrow. It is quite complete and the best research on Helleberg I have seen.

Apparently Helleberg designed a mouthpiece for each instrument he sold, consequently there are hundreds of Helleberg mouthpiece designs. Thus, all of the Helleberg mouthpieces being produced today, though different, can lay claim to being authentic copies of Helleberg design.

I have two "original" Hellebergs, vastly different. One appears to be for a small tuba and the other for a big tuba. Conn was the most prolific maker of "original" Helleberg mouthpieces (in the 30' or 40's but don't quote me). Eventually, I am told, they took the mandrel for that mouthpiece and used it for many years to make the Conn 2.

The gold-plated Hellebergs that Conn produced in the late 60's were quite large. Followed later by the Helleberg 7B you mentioned.

Follow Ups: