Re: Re: The Ultimate Tuba gig.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on February 20, 2003 at 18:31:38:

In Reply to: Re: The Ultimate Tuba gig. posted by The Sock on February 20, 2003 at 17:18:08:

It is a lot of fun, but it also comes with an incredible amount of pressure and stress. You are expected to play perfectly for each take, otherwise you may not be called for the next gig. That gets really tough when you sit down and find solos like Jaws on your stand. Read the story about Tommy Johnson and the first Jaws (in the archives). That is why I believe Tommy Johnson is the most underappreciated tuba player today.

Speaking of Jaws, Jim Self also had to play that solo, even though Tommy did all of the Jaws movies. Listen to the opening of the comedy Airplane! and you'll hear Jim playing the same solo. So I guess you're never safe, even on a movie gig like Airplane!

Film music can often be less than satisfying musically, so it can quickly become just a job, like Sean said. My few film studio gigs have not been very exciting musically (I'm waiting for the LSO to call me for the next Star Wars!), but they have been great experiences that I hope one day will turn into a productive career.

Follow Ups: