Re: Concept of Sound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on February 21, 2003 at 10:17:25:

In Reply to: Concept of Sound posted by Rick on February 19, 2003 at 14:11:57:

This may sound outlandish, but I wouldn't worry so much about listening to recordings of other tuba players to form a concept of sound, at least not trying to sound just like them.
Sure, I'd recommend listening to a good representation of serious tuba work if you have not before, but to limit oneself to that would be like only studying one art style or period. Here's a bit of my sound concept; Listen to a great cellist, an old John Deere tractor, a good jazz group, a bluegrass band, field artillery, Elvis, a fine brass band, diesel trucks, a really good symphony orchestra, a zydeco band, a gifted church pianist, a good rock band, etc. Reflect on what you have heard, and try to incorporate parts of what you heard that you really like into your sound. Mix that with liberal portions of study, and practicing in small halls, large halls and outdoors when possible, and voila, you have a concept of sound! Everything that you hear, even a leaky faucet or a leaf blower, contains clues as to what you do, or do not want to sound like.
As you add experiences of hearing others, and your own performances, the concept will continue to develop. It is part of the great joy of music.
Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: