Re: Re: Producing your own CD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Zerkel on February 25, 2003 at 23:51:22:

In Reply to: Re: Producing your own CD posted by Daryl (long reply) on February 25, 2003 at 23:29:34:

Great post!

I'm in the midst of preparing to do one of these projects right now. Fortunately, my grant to cover the cost of the creative aspects of the project (recording, editing, production)was approved. I still face the certainty of writing a check with a comma in it to whomever chooses to manufacter and distribute.

My reason for making a CD is because my employer sees this as a way to demonstrate my "productivity". Most scholars at universities need to write books to keep their deans happy. Music faculty are increasingly being asked to make recordings, that are in turn reviewed. While the skeptics among us will likely ask "Why do these college teachers feel the need to make a CD?" the real answer in many cases is "To keep their jobs!"

I have no delusions of this album being a commercial success and I'd be shocked if I will ever break even. Does the world need a CD of me playing the tuba? Probably not...but the baby needs new shoes! :)

Follow Ups: