Re: Re: Re: Looking for a BBflat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 26, 2003 at 23:45:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Looking for a BBflat posted by TubaRay on February 26, 2003 at 16:59:13:

Bandmaster Grim says: VMI, Miraphone, King - and I agree. That was pretty much my short list for my recent purchase. All of these tubas are good choices. But now...second order issues creep in - little things like "does it feel comfortable in your lap" and "do your fingers lay nicely on the valves".

And finally...can you find a good *individual* tuba that you like.

I got down to "new, new King 2341" by play testing (in "tire-kicking mode") many different tubas over a considerable period of time. Then, I waited for the chance to play several 2341's back-to-back. Note that the factors that eliminated the VMI and Miraphone candidates were *very* specific to me - someone else might very easily make a different choice, and we would both be "right".

The truth is that *any* of the tubas I tested (once the list was narrowed to 3 brand/models) woule serve my purposes just fine, and if absolutely necessary I *could* have ordered one sight-unseen. But, a serious shopping trip to a place that will allow you to hand pick "the one" lets you walk away with just a tad more confidence that you have the one that's right for you. (and then you can make up all sorts of reasons why *yours* is better than all the others).

Follow Ups: