Re: BBb vs. CC for music major

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on February 27, 2003 at 09:34:42:

In Reply to: BBb vs. CC for music major posted by Stefan on February 27, 2003 at 06:41:45:

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to switch. There are great BBb horns out there that can carry him through. There's no shame in playing BBb. Switching to CC will not help him make music out of the ink on the page any better, which I also agree is relevant to teaching. How can you teach someone to make music if you have no idea how to do it yourself? Now, if your student has the talent and ability, you might let him try. I personally like playing CC better than BBb for a variety of reasons that this board has discussed and debated ad infinitum. I'm disappointed that I had to sell my CCs in the past, and I can't wait to get another. Your student might just like playing CC tuba better. As far as learning it as a requirement, very few high school directors have CC tuba players in their bands. The high school players that have committed themselves to their craft and made the step to CC are usually the ones the directors don't have to worry about or help with fingerings. A band director should know how to transpose anyway. CC fingers one step below BBb - it's not rocket science. The point is that he doesn't need to learn CC fingerings to teach it. If I understand you correctly, he does not want to play professionally. I assume he wants to be a band director as an ed major. If he's not going to be a band director, then it may be pointless, outside of personal preference, to switch to CC.
Doc

Follow Ups: