Re: Need Suggestions on Audition Pieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on February 27, 2003 at 12:15:48:

In Reply to: Need Suggestions on Audition Pieces posted by Camilo on February 27, 2003 at 11:00:08:

First, I would not assume that just because your director is a trumpet player that he has little knowledge of the tuba repertoire. Also, you are auditioning for the ensemble that he is responsible for so auditioning for him is certainly a normal procedure. Later, if you take professional orchestra auditions, the one thing you can be sure of is that you won't be auditioning for tuba players. There is only one and he just left!

I recommend speaking to your teacher for advice. I would recommend that you play a piece that demonstrates your musical abilities as well as technical. I would not play a novelty piece in this situation. If someone makes it to a level in which they are directing a university wind band or orchestra, they have had to accomplish something to get there. I would assume that he is a great musician versus a poor one no matter what you think currently in regards to your preparation. I would prepare as if he played your selection yesterday.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Mark

Follow Ups: