Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: college tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 27, 2003 at 14:35:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: college tuba posted by 3100 Question on February 27, 2003 at 13:29:01:

There's a lot bound up in that word "seem."

The sound of the Willson "seems" muffled and it does not "seem" to resonate when compared to either a Conn 20J, a Holton, or even my York Master. But it is extremely heavy and solid, and it's hard for me to really know what it is doing. But I have a strong suspicion that the sound is coming out just fine, it just doesn't vibrate the hands and skull of the player the same as those other instruments. I'm with you--I like that feedback--but players with a strong tone concept and a better interpretation of what bounces back from the room will be less intimidated by the Willson. That quality makes it hard to evaluate from the occasional honk, especially in the elephant room of a conference.

For me to spend that kind of money, though, I'd want it to not only have that kind of sound, but I'd also want it to give me that resonant feedback. It would also have to be able to change the spark plugs on my wife's car or mow the grass for that money, but that's a personal situation.

Rick "who would pay lots for a tuba that would shovel snow" Denney

Follow Ups: