Re: Describe teaching music in Canada?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Student on February 27, 2003 at 19:34:23:

In Reply to: Describe teaching music in Canada? posted by Teacher on February 27, 2003 at 13:33:17:

Hello,
More or less every high school in Canada has a music program, but participation levels vary widely from school to school. Where I went to school (Toronto), there was a 'core' music class that all music students took, in which we focused on both performance (splitting the instrumentalists and vocalists, usually we instrumentalists would play through 'group' etudes or band pieces) and listening, history, and theory etc. (which generally included all music students. Bands and choirs - the participation in at least one of which was mandatory for all music students - were extra-curricular but students were able to receive a credit for participation. This is the way it was when I went to school, now at my school they've changed the bands and choirs to timetabled credits and integrated the listening and theory into this credit. Again how each school sets up their band programs varies.
My school didn't have strings so there were no orchestras. Some high schools do have orchestras, but of course it requires both an active music program and an arts-minded board of trustees.

Music educators in Canada are expected to have basic proficiency on *all* instruments...this I believe is the biggest difference from the U.K. Starting in elementary school, the music class (usually set up as a band) will be run by one teacher who gives basic instruction to all the students. If students show a special interest in their instrument they may wish to take private lessons, but must do so at their own expense outside the school. Most of the 'keener' music students, of which I was an unabashed leader, took private lessons. Students generally start on band instruments around Grade 7 or so (age 12), and music classes up to that point are generally vocal.

I've gone on for long enough here, but as I'm sure you can see I've just begun to scratch the surface. There's an unending list of important topics, many that you might not expect - such as, if you're teaching in Vancouver, you will likely have more Asian students than Canadian ones. A good place to start would be a journal called The Canadian Music Educator - see if you can get at your local (big) library. If you have any further specific questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: