Re: Re: Re: Re: Conn Grand Orchestral

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on March 01, 2003 at 11:04:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Conn Grand Orchestral posted by Chuck Jackson on February 28, 2003 at 23:00:38:

I also had the pleasure of serving with Mark, who now works at the US Army Field Band. His 1942 King BBb had (except for the huge bell flare) a smaller bottom bow and bell than the current 2341, but it is a superbly-crafted instrument. Dr. Stauffer took Mark down to the Washington Navy Yard years ago and they picked out this Navy Surplus tuba. They then sent it to King, back in the days when you could send an instrument back to the manufacturer for an overhaul.
Actually, in Europe, some manufacturers will still do that.
An example of that is the F tuba pictured on page 134 of Dr. Stauffer's "A Treatise on the Tuba". The upper photo shows Dr. Stauffer holding it circa 1940, during his Rochester Philharmonic days. Mark and I took it to Rudolf Meinl while we were stationed in Heidelberg, Germany for a full restoration. If you will look carefully, there is a difference in the 5th valve tubing. In its original configuration, the 5th valve only had a loop of tubing, with no 5th tuning slide! Rudolf Meinl re-configured the tubing, and made a 5th tuning slide for it. The lower photo is the restored instrument in December 1987. Vince Simonetti of the Tuba Exchange sold that tuba in 1995 or 1996. I would ask that anyone knowing the whereabouts of this instrument please contact me.
Thanks,

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: