Re: Re: Re: For Jay Bertolet/re:Bruckner 4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on March 01, 2003 at 21:19:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: For Jay Bertolet/re:Bruckner 4 posted by Andy on February 28, 2003 at 11:53:46:

Andy,
You say all this as if the contrabass has always been a BAT, and that a bass has always been an oversized euph.

You commented on the type/size of instruments used at the time of the compositions. Good point. But what about the brass used today? Did the tuba not change over time like the rest? Nope. I imagine that Bruckner's bass tuba was closer in size to a MW 182 F, or a Mira 180 F. These are both small horns. Then look at the Willson 3400 Eb, B&S Apollo and PT F's Mirafone 181, Hirsbrunner, Most of the Meinl Weston f's, Rudy Meinl. They are much larger, with larger sound and more carrying power. My breif experiance with a Willson eefer tells me it would be more than adequit to support a modern brass section (this horn is also a different beast than the 'german F').

Also remember, a tuba not always is the bottom of the full orchestra, And is often not much more than just the bottom voice of the brass section. This is often why the use of a larger bass tuba is the instrument of choice for many works.

End of my little ramble,
Steve C

Follow Ups: