Re: Mr. Pokorny meets his hero!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 01, 2004 at 12:52:38:

In Reply to: Mr. Pokorny meets his hero! posted by Sean Chisham on February 01, 2004 at 01:20:18:

I'm sitting at the get-together admiring the virtuosity of Marty Erickson improvising along with Doug Elliott, Harry Salati, Gill Corella, and other jazzy guys who I can only wish to emulate, and I happened to glance to my right, whereupon Sean caught my eye. I set down my Diet Coke (that's my story and I'm sticking with it) and he dragged me across the room to meet Someone.

Yes, he dragged me up to Gene Pokorny, who then spent a paragraph or two admiring me. I tried to avoid drooling on myself while I mulled over the appropriate form of bow for meeting such an august personage. Nose to the floor or is bend at the waist sufficient? He then paused, waiting for me to respond, and I found myself trying desperately to think of something erudite to avoid dissolving with a definite example the entirely ficticious image of me he had constructed. To say I was utterly astounded would be a supreme understatement.

We actually had a very nice chat, though I have to say that after the Bagatelles (and the master class), nothing that happened at the party could have raised my opinion of him further. How can such a regular guy be that good?

Sean came up a few minutes later asking if it had been alright for him to drag me over there to meet Gene. I casually allowed as how I didn't mind. Then we both started giggling. I don't know about Sean, but I'm still giggling.

Say, Sean, ain't the Internet grand?

Rick "who fervently hopes Mr. Pokorny doesn't ever hear me play" Denney

Follow Ups: