Re: playing with earplugs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by james on February 03, 2004 at 18:34:42:

In Reply to: playing with earplugs posted by ben on February 03, 2004 at 10:18:40:

i experimented a little with earplugs when playing with the disney band this summer. we did a big band set everyday on a stage with a low ceiling and it could be brutal at times. i found that i hated playing with earplugs for two reasons: (1)the sound i "experienced" when playing was horrific and nasal-even more so on trombone than tuba (2)the pitch seemed to be somewhat distorted and hurt my intonation slightly. even the musician earplugs put a big damper on the sound. it was aminly hard to hear the bass drum and string bass. i don't know why anyone would want to practice in a practice room with earplugs. i could see a rehearsal with a large ensemble for protection purposes. however, the whole reason i play tuba is because i love the sound of the horn. if i can't hear myself the way i desire, i don't care to play. this is the same reason i sold my silent brass. obviously music is all about the sound. i would try changing my seating situation (i.e. not sitting in front of the lead trumpet)before wearing earplugs.

Follow Ups: