Re: 24J/ 34J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul Sidey on February 04, 2004 at 06:31:26:

In Reply to: 24J/ 34J posted by Bob Anthony on February 03, 2004 at 22:00:20:

I played both the 24J and 34J although I spent more years with my 34J. My 24J had short action pistons and a recorder bell and my 34J an upright bell with full action pistons. Both were top action types. Both horns also had a great deep sound and could really mimic a string bass and pipe organ. It has been a couple decades since I played either but I remember both as being quite easy to blow no matter the dynamics required yet very responsive with only some very minor intonation quirks that were easily corrected to "dead on" with alternate use of some fingerings.

My favorite was the 34J combined with an old Conn Helleberg and a single tuning bit but I am not sure if it was the roundness of sound was better as much as it was that it just was an all around personally preferable horn to play for "ethereal" qualities. In other words, I got it in my head that I sounded a lot better on it and that probably made me play better on it. I also preferred the upright bell much more as well.

Paul "who probably prefers the 34J most as Vaclav Nelhybel told him he loved my rich, enveloping sound on it" Sidey

Follow Ups: