Re: Cerveny and technique

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jacob Morgan on February 04, 2004 at 19:30:22:

In Reply to: Cerveny and technique posted by Big E on February 04, 2004 at 11:28:30:

I play on a cerveny 681 Bb, school horn, Its about 8-10 yrs old and has its fair share of dents from its not so well taken care life..

I've played a cerveny 681 since the summer before 9th grade, in 9th grade I made 1st band 1st chair in my region, highest possible. 10th grade I made a 2nd band, which I deserved for MY very poor performance. This year it has taken me to 1st band 1st chair again, and I'll be trying out for arkansas all state band this saturday, and hoping it will take me to state...hoping anyway..

I haven't played alot of different horns, only other horns i've played very much would be even older junkier 3 valve jr high horns.. and thats it.

As for volumes and such, I can play extremely quiet on my cerveny, however if *I* really get on the thing when it comes to loud loud playing, it doesn't like it to say the least. so I've basically just dealt with that and I know the limits of the horn...

Im currently looking to buy my own tuba *if* I make all state, and cerveny is on my list of choices, since they are very affordable (under 3k for a new one) however I am also looking at miraphone 186s, and possibly getting a CC tuba.. which depending how much i am able to spend Im looking a nice wilson CC tuba and the miraphone 186 CC.. however Im still looking and haven't decided to any degree what i plan to get..

overall, I think cerveny is a good horn but i've merely out grown the tuba, the 681 is a smaller then most tubas, I believe the bell is either 14.75 or 15.75" which is a smaller bell. If I were to get a cerveny, just from what i've read i'd get a 686, which has a bigger bell, and from what a read a more free blowing horn. however i've only played a 686 once, and only for part of a piece(some1 had one (AT) all region) so im in no defiant position to really recomend any tuba.

Thats my story with cerveny, I apoligize before hand for any grammar mistakes, you can prolly tell im in highschool since I do use computer jargon. so if you don't like it sorry, its really just a habbit from other more kid like forums I goto. same with spelling and such. i apoligize in advance..

Good luck with whatever u decide, if you wanna talk more about the 681 or what lil i know about tubas uc an hit me up on aim (AT) jmorgan1313 or msn (AT) the same e-mail i used for this.

Jacob

Follow Ups: