Re: B&S History

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bloke on February 04, 2004 at 21:04:47:

In Reply to: B&S History posted by Rick Denney on February 04, 2004 at 16:03:07:

The first one of these that I saw up close was a 6V "Symphonie" used with the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra when they were on tour in 1977 (GDR - Communist East Germany).

All of the "rep" on the concert was (as far as I was concerned) CC stuff - Tchaikowsky, etc., and even though a white-haired old fat man was playing this F tuba, I could still hear him playing against the heavily orchestrated brass in a huge hall. That made me decide to look into acquiring one.

About that time, Roger Bobo started using one as well. As a matter of fact, I attended a masterclass (when the LAPO was on tour) where Mr. Bobo played his B&S "Symphonie" F on all excerpts played by him and the trombone section. No one seems to ever recall the years that Mr. Bobo played a B&S F "Symphonie" tuba. Interestingly (??), I believe that Mr. Perantoni getting a hold of the U.S. B&S market and Roger Bobo dropping the instrument like a hot potato were almost simultaneous. Generally, one only hears of Mr. Bobo's early recordings with the Mirafone 180-F and later posing in pictures with the Yamaha 621-F.
Typing "1977" just jogged my memory... I believe that David Graves' tuba - besides having "Giardinelli" scratched into the mouthpipe receiver brace plate - also has "1977" scratched into it right beside "Giardinelli". David Graves' serial number should indeed be of assistance (as a "known" year) to dating your instrument.

Follow Ups: