Re: Re: Martin Sousa Bits

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on February 07, 2004 at 23:17:49:

In Reply to: Re: Martin Sousa Bits posted by Paul Scott on February 07, 2004 at 22:43:05:

I've seen Martih sousaphones with the S-shaped bits as originals, and the bell front tubas as well. The theory behind the S-shaped bit is that it effects a smooth pipe into the valves, without the jagged, stuck-together Conn-type, and makes the sousaphone sound more mellow - like a tuba. An attempt to get rid of sousaphone "barking".

I suscribe to the theory that the bark comes from both the bits, and the 90-degree bell angle. The sound doesn't "curve" out of the sousaphone bell; it bangs against 90-degree bend, which distorts the sound.

Back in the 1970s King made up some experimental sequential sousaphone bits to try and make the horns sound better - the Navy Band got three sets of them, I got one. Worked great, although the bits on mine went with it when I sold the horn (bursitis) about ten years ago. They basicaly soldered ferrules onto a tuba mouthpiece receiver, and a length of tuba leadpipe. Too bad it never went into production.

Believe it or not, there a sequential bits available for the old Bundys that do much the same thing, with little knobs you can hand tighten. I'd try the original Martin set-up for a while and see if doesn't work well for you.

MH

Follow Ups: