Re: Re: serious career question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tracy Bedgood on February 08, 2004 at 19:55:38:

In Reply to: Re: serious career question posted by Higher, Ed on February 08, 2004 at 19:06:12:

As you may have guessed, I'm at sort of a crossroads in my life now. My first choice is still to make a living playing tuba, but I would, at some point, like to have a college gig. Perhaps when I accomplish some playing goals. I have a private studio now, but I haven't taken many big auditions. Most of the local stuff I've done, I've had alot of sucess at.
My problem is that once I leave school, I figure it would be hard to get back in after a long period of time. Its been hard enough on my wife and I to travel halfway across the country to go to graduate school, so I have to be really certain about my goals to do it again. I know that whatever degrees I may possess mean diddly-squat to an audition committee, but mean everything for a college job. I'm not sure where the idea of a degree from a prominent school somehow magically bestowing playing ability got started.
However, I do enjoy the benefits of an education and I think I'm better person and player for it. If I were rich and single, it would be much easier to pursue my DMA (but alas, I'm not). I wouldn't mind going to a lower tier school for the money but that wouldn't provide me as much "tuba training" as a conservatory would. I would love to go to a conservatory, but there is the money issue again.
What you said makes alot of sense and its given me alot to think about.
Thanks so much,
Tracy

Follow Ups: