Upon Hearing Pilafian Play Hindemith

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on February 08, 2004 at 20:58:21:

I posted below about my discovery of Sam Pilafian playing Hindemith. The cd label and number are listed in a lower post. My impressions:

1. This is an incredibly introspective Hindemith. Having always loved the savagery of Bobo's performance, this was a new twist. This is excellent music making. Pilafian seems to get inside the music and find it's darker side, darker in the sense of it's implied angst rather than it's outward showings of it. The cadenza in the 3rd movement is really, really beautiful, very spun out and full of pathos. Pilafian doesn't rely on grand gestures, but opts for musical nuance I find missing in many of todays tuba recordings.

2. The guy flat plays the tuba as well as anyone on the planet. His control over the TOTAL RANGE OF DYNAMICS is astounding. I don't think I have ever heard a tuba play that soft with that much core. I could give a rats-ass on what he plays on, he could make a garden hose sound good.

3. I had forgotten how much I miss him playing legit music. I love his jazz stuff, and, please no flames, could do without "Dos Amigos" (personal preference).I wish he would record every major staple of the literature before he retires. I bet he would do a killer Vaughn-Williams.

I may have missed the boat on this recording. I only bring it to your attention because I have not seen anything in the archives about it.

One thing: The piano playing is stupendous. David Korevaar makes Hindemith sound as easy as a big note John Thompson Piano Book. The piano is a little too up front for my taste, but it in no way hinders the overall effect of this very fine recording. Buy it now.

Chuck

Follow Ups: