Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl Hickman on February 09, 2004 at 01:22:28:

In Reply to: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Sean Chisham on February 09, 2004 at 00:28:08:

Sean -

If you think that teaching music is bad - think about all of the classroom teachers trying to force English, math, etc., down the throats of a bunch of knuckleheads every day. When I was a public school band director I couldn't understand the one or two kids out of 50 that didn't want to be in band, much less the fate of the classroom teacher who might have one or two out of 50 that want to be there.

I am fortunate enough that I now teach band instrument repair at a technical college where everyone wants to be there. If they don't, they weed themselves out. It is wonderful that it boils down to the student and the indstrument they are working on. Poor work ethic, non-existent mechanical aptitude, lack of desire = crappy playing instrument. Pretty much takes care of itself.

I second your thought to all of you who had me in the tuba studio (Art Jennings at U.Fla/Martin Bergee at Missouri) - thanks for the patience and the opportunity to b.s. my way through lessons when I wasn't prepared.

DLH

Follow Ups: