Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on February 09, 2004 at 07:17:14:

In Reply to: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Sean Chisham on February 09, 2004 at 00:28:08:

I realize that this post is aimed at teachers who are of a higher quality than I, but I can't resist.

I have been very blessed this year. I have a band class that is doing what I terach for the first time in many years. I am conducting more and praying less each time I get on the podium.

As far as private students, I have 3 who have impressed me this year. All three have become clay jars that are keeping what they have been given. One is an 8th grade trumpet player who was a 1 1/2 octave slowpoke at the start of the year. He started private lessons from me and a local college brass major, and became one of the top 10 trumpet players in the region at the junior high level. I have two jazz bass students who just placed in the state jazz bands this year. Both did this as their first audition for a state level band. One of them placed as his first bass audition as well.

These three are why teachers teach. They are the ones who will see their instrument as their friend, and making music as their pleasure in life, not as their p[ainful trek for the next semester.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: