Re: Band Directors - how to get there?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon Meyer on February 09, 2004 at 08:34:42:

In Reply to: Band Directors - how to get there? posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 08, 2004 at 22:09:40:

I am a band director in Cincinnati, Ohio and I must confess I do not have a Music Ed. degree. My degree is in music performance. However, I took the private school route and am able to work on what is called (in Ohio at least) a non-tax certificate.

As far as my advice, maybe I am missing something here, but I would try to go to a school with an above average band director who is also an above average conducting teacher (i.e. Northwestern/Dr. Thompson).

Having a fine college marching band is not necessarily a drawback. Sometimes, having that distraction during the year can be a problem. However, if your son has the fortunate position of not having to work over the summer, he can learn all of the marching info ever needed while marching several summers with a top-notch DCI corps.

As far as the masters containing the teaching composnent, that is very do-able. Al you have to do is find out the licensing/certification requirements in the state that he is being educated, and contact the schools regarding a masters in X (performance? conducting?)with the license/certificate requirements added on. For instance, Xavier University in Cincinnati offers a Masters in Music Ed. with integrated licensure. Not a bad combo.

I personally am glad that I was able to concentrate on playing during my undergrad. I also was very fortunate to have had a great wind ensemble director (Mark Babbitt, now at Central Washington, who is also a KICKA$$ trombone player) who I took indepentdant studies with on conducting and wind ensemble history. If he wans to go back to WA, I strongly suggest Central Washington University with Mark Babbitt (if he is still there then). I have included a link below.

My two cents is that he work on playing in his undergrad and integrate the education into the masters. Education classes are not as exciting to musicians as theory and music lit., so having 4 years of college (and much maturity gained) under your belt makes attending them and really paying attention easier.

One thing that plauges education today is the lack of true TEACHING knowledge and an overabundance of topical knowledge. It harkens up to Seans's post about teaching. Some of us are just energized by the process of molding minds into performers and watching them spread thier wings. But, that takes a balance of topical (instrument and theory-based) pedagogical knowledge and educational technique. Learning the technique was easier for me after I had already done a good amount of work towards mastery of my instrument/conducting skill.

If he wants to talk to a young teacher that followed this path (and honestly still is working on his masters) tell him to feel free to email me. I have hit a couple snags along the way and may be able to give him some practical advince if he chooses that path.

Good luck to him,
JON MEYER

Follow Ups: