Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 09, 2004 at 08:47:50:

In Reply to: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Sean Chisham on February 09, 2004 at 00:28:08:

Sean, be patient and keep trying. I was like you, I never had any desire to teach. However, my very first teacher was quite clear in giving me an understanding of the concept of giving back to the profession. I have tried very hard to follow his sage advice. Taking what all my teachers taught me and adding to that my own personal experiences in the search for excellence, I began trying to pass on my understanding of the craft. At first it was very awkward. After many years of teaching experience, I feel much more comfortable and secure in my decisions.

What really lit a fire under me was the very first student I ever had that was really good. I'm not talking about a student that manages to squeak out a chair in an all-county band, I'm talking about students that land full scholarships to college or land real playing jobs. I've had a handful of such students and I can tell you that the feeling of pride and accomplishment derived from the knowledge that you helped such a player get where they wanted to go is just as fulfilling as the very best playing experiences. In recent years I've had several students like this and it has kept me sane through a time when things were really bad otherwise.

My advice to you is to keep at it and see where teaching leads you. My experience has taught me that if you really care how you affect the student, and you treat them just like you wish to treated, great things can happen. Having a positive affect on another person's life is a very powerful thing.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: