Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carole Nowicke on February 09, 2004 at 11:47:07:

In Reply to: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Sean Chisham on February 09, 2004 at 00:28:08:

So, don't teach private lessons. If money is the only motivation and not teaching because one likes to teach, it won't be satisfying. You can study pedagogy and improve technique if you wish--or do something else. As someone said, there are other means of dissemination of knowledge--and to more people! Some people are great communicators one-on-one and totally lame in clinics, others are fabulous for an audience but have no ability to communicate in a lesson. Some give everyone the same lesson--whether they need that particular lesson or not. I'm really impressed, for example, with Richard Watson (ex Honolulu Symphony, Torchinsky student) who not only teaches low brass but woodwinds very successfully--and teaches motorcycle safety. He loves to teach--and his two of his students were first chairs in all-state orchestra this year--tuba and bassoon! Why didn't I meet someone like Richard when I was a kid, and aren't his students fortunate?

Follow Ups: