Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul Scott on February 09, 2004 at 12:52:26:

In Reply to: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Sean Chisham on February 09, 2004 at 00:28:08:

There have been times when I felt like giving up teaching but something in me needs to do it. That said, it still can be quite exhausting and difficult at times. I find one thing that keeps me going is my fascination with how totally different each student is. I try to find the right mix of words and actions that will benefit each individual and this challenge keeps it fresh for me. And there's nothing like having a student with that combination of a strong work ethic and talent to work with.

Having said this I must admit that it is becoming more difficult for me to teach by the year. Students that are reasonably mature, responsible and well-adjusted are becoming more rare. I teach in two small public elementary schools in New Jersey (as a band director). I find that most (not some) of these students (4th-5th-6th graders) are more spoiled, undisciplined and unhappy than ever and hence achieve less academically and otherwise. I also teach at a small state university and these same problems are present there as well. I've noticed the biggest changes for the worse over the past 8 years. There seem to be less students "in the middle"-more students who are either absolutely outstanding (they still exist) or absolutely dreadful. But then again our public schools are designed this way-Gifted Programs and Special Ed. programs-high and low.

I see these developments as a further challenge and am not willing to give up quite yet......but talk to me in 5 years!

Follow Ups: