Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by C(G) on February 09, 2004 at 14:01:37:

In Reply to: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Sean Chisham on February 09, 2004 at 00:28:08:

I've given courses in my professional field (data forensics) to other adults, but the resemblence to teaching tuba in private lessons is remote. Generally, I enjoyed it, however.

I volunteer in one of the local school districts helping out by tutoring middle and high-school brass students. Since it's volunteer work, I can walk away from it any time I want with no excuses. But I enjoy it immensely, even when I have a young one doing his best to distract me. If things get too out of control, i simply send the kid back to class.

I enjoy it mostly because it's about sharing what I know with someone else--and hoping to pick up some insights in the process. To me, teaching is a two-way street--if I don't learn something new as teacher, I feel shortchanged. And there are those rewarding moments when a student has a breakthough.

I spent the entire last week marching a couple of students around the room, singing their music for them to get a feel of what playing on time is like. (I was marching right behind them to keep the tempo from lagging. "Play like you've got a million marching soldiers in front of your and behind you--you'll get creamed if you break step").

It helped them a lot--and I learned that a physical approach to tempo works. I felt it was worthwhile--and the exercise I got didn't hurt either.

Follow Ups: