Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Band Directors - how to get there?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bloke on February 10, 2004 at 12:07:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Band Directors - how to get there? posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 09, 2004 at 00:50:44:

This question isn't targeted to you and your son, Kenneth, but it got me thinking...

Is is a "bad" thing to "not" fund one's kids' college experiences until those kids have a "plan"...even if that "plan" only includes something like:

"I would like to check off some courses that are required for most all degrees, and take courses in 1/this discipline 2/that discipline and 3/that other disciple that I find interesting."

'seems to me that many folks' kids have no business on college campuses... directionless and horribly inappropriate behavior expressed in all sorts of ways...

Though one often hears the assumed truism about "If you don't enter college right out of high school, you'll probably never end up going", I'm not sure that two to four years involved in heavy-duty volunteer (civil or religious missionary, etc.) work...or the military...or tough manual labor... wouldn't offer many of these "rebels without causes" some real "causes" to pursue once they are truly mature enough to set foot on a campus.

Follow Ups: