Re: Re: Re: Re: How can you improve your jazz playing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on February 10, 2004 at 16:47:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: How can you improve your jazz playing? posted by Mary Ann on February 10, 2004 at 16:31:25:

In my college days, I'd just have to run over to my stack of LPs and riffle through them, but they're all boxed away now. I do have a few things at home on CD -- I'll gather up what I've got and post it here tomorrow. I'm sure I have the Satchmo/Handy disk, and I know I've got another really fine 5- or 6-disk collection that has a dozen or so really good (big name) jazz combos of the early 50s. Most of my old stuff, which I was lucky to find on vinyl, will surely be unavailable on CD in their originally re-released form, but I'm sure you can find collections by all of those named.

If I could only recommend one recording, though, it'd be Ella's live version of "How high the moon". There is more jazz in that one song than in any other whole album I know of. It was the song that convinced me that vocalists CAN claim the title of 'musician'. I never had that one on an album, just a bootleg cassette a friend made for me.

Joe Baker, who wore out his cassette copy of that song driving back & forth between Dallas & Denton in 1980.

Follow Ups: