Re: Tubas, not music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 10, 2004 at 17:42:44:

In Reply to: Tubas, not music posted by Jack Bauer on February 10, 2004 at 15:02:58:

We discuss music quite frequently--more frequently than your post suggests. I won't give examples, though I could. You have to hang around long enough to see them for yourself, or start a few threads of your own.

But posts that are concerned solely with music tend not to generate a lot of discussion. Why? Music is hard to talk about. It's much easier to listen to. But I don't see a place on this forum where you can play and I can listen, or where we can play together. All we have are words, but they are nearly worthless in describing music. I would greatly appreciate it if you would prove me wrong--by example.

Thus, I play music all the time, but you won't see me do it on this forum. All you see are the words I write.

Of course the equipment is the means, not the end. But we still can't make music without it, and it still costs lots of money. Therefore, the equipment's relative efficacy is relevant for many who hope to spend wisely their limited funds, and those topics can be covered with language. So people come here for advice and information. Plus, my interest in tubas, like that of most musicians, goes beyond the music to the instrument itself. If my only interest was music, I'd probably not play the tuba, because it's one of the harder instruments on which to make real music. One of the best violinists I personally know can go on at great lengths on the history and design of violins. Do people focus too much on equipment? Or too much on what the top echelon of players say and do? Probably. I'm sure I do. But for me that's part of the fun. Since I'm a hobbyist, I get to define fun for myself.

Rick "who didn't buy a BAT so he could play loud" Denney

Follow Ups: