Re: Re: Re: Re: Tubas, not music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on February 11, 2004 at 17:01:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tubas, not music posted by Jack Bauer on February 11, 2004 at 16:25:02:

Jack, I too would welcome you to TubeNet. I have enjoyed reading Joe Baker's posts for quite some time, now. Glad to see what interests you, too.

I played the Hanson while I was in college. Let's see......that was only a year or two ago. I must admit I don't remember much about it. As for the Rochut, for a real challenge, try them DOWN an octave. Playing them in that octave make it downright difficult to play them musically. It can really help with the skills necessary to good tuba playing, though. Do you have all three books? I believe I like the third book best. Some other books I have and enjoy are: Sear--Etudes, Kopprasch, Blazehevich, & Tyrrell. I don't have enough practice time these days to spend much time on those things.

In the performance arena, in addition to the large ensemble things(which are generally chosen for me), we play an interesting array of things in The TubaMeisters. Although we specialize in polkas and waltzes, we play some other things in order to take our audiences off guard. And the polkas and waltzes aren't all easy, either. One of our latest charts in Blue Skirt Waltz. Many are familiar with the tune. I have written an arrangement which give me(on tuba) the melody for a significant part of the piece. In addition, I have written an accordian-type part that I get to play while the lead euph plays the melody. It is somewhat of a technical challenge and calls for me have some real flexibility. Most of all, it is just plain out-and-out fun!

Thanks for joining our board and for stimulating the conversation.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Texas

Follow Ups: