Re: HELP PLEASE< DEBATE OF THE CENTURY!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by chris on February 12, 2004 at 19:40:39:

In Reply to: HELP PLEASE< DEBATE OF THE CENTURY!! posted by Feather McDowan on February 12, 2004 at 08:29:25:

Your band director is correct, assuming you are not reading in Bb treble. The high g can be fingered either 1 and 2 or just 2. 2 is more in tune for me but you need to figure out what is best for you. Your boyfriend and band director are both correct, but trombone is a little different. Trombone can play the high g in either a sharp 2nd(at least for me) or in 4th position and with the trigger(just like the fourth valve) there are many amounts of combinations for most notes. Also, trombone is cylindrical instead of conical
(the bore stays pretty much the same until it flares at the bell) so some things that may be sharp or flat on trombone can be completely different on euphonium because of the unique tonal color. Bottom line, figure out which fingering is best for you, find a tuner and see which is more in tune, or ask your band director.
By the way, I am 17 and disagree with what my band director says sometimes too, but it usuallt best to just take his word for it and find out about it later(as directors are correct about what they say most of the time). Also be careful about listening to people of your same age in band, they can pretend to know a lot more than they really do, especially trombone players. Also, I am but a humble tuba player so you might be better listening to someone who plays euphonium and trombone much more than I.

Follow Ups: