Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 13, 2004 at 14:53:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics posted by Experiment Guy on February 13, 2004 at 13:45:16:

You and I seem to be about on the same path. The biggest problem I have is a dead spot between the low register and the upper register, right around Bb on the staff. And I've come to the conclusion that the problem is lack of embouchure strength. I use mouthpiece pressure and other unhealthy shortcuts to address the upper register, but those prevent any decent sound in the lower register. Down low, I just relax everything and I get the notes, but without firm corners the pitch and tone are unreliable. In the middle, I get caught between these two, often with the result of an uncontrollable tremor especially when I'm tired.

I've been working on it by doing flexibility and buzzing exercises, trying to strengthen my embouchure to be able to supply the impedance necessary to produce the tone even without the resonance of the instrument helping me. Buzzing and slurs have the same problem--the inability to vibrated at the correct pitch in the absence of resonance in the instrument. The new pitch has to resonate for a few cycles before the return pulse reflecting from the end of the bell helps us. Therefore, I suspect that when you fix your lip slurs, your mid-range tone (and articulation) will go along for the ride. I've already seen considerable improvement in this area even though I'm lazy about doing the exercises. Just right thinking has helped. Anything can be an exercise if you are practice the right things when you do it.

And my range has improved, too. It hasn't really extended much in terms of notes I can reliably hit, but the range where I get a better quality tone has extended. I'm using mouthpiece pressure less up high, and learning how to work with the tuba to resonate notes down low. I still can't move enough air for the really low notes, though.

Rick "who is seeing improvement in the spreading sound caused by weak chops" Denney

Follow Ups: