Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale pfft Phelps on February 13, 2004 at 22:56:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Low register dynamics posted by I would assume on February 13, 2004 at 15:04:21:

Joe you ole contrarian you. Taking my comments seriously? Dare I say "personally"?

Many of the talking heads here decry the sad state of performing arts. What's the problem then with pointing a student towards an applied music teacher for the help they need?

The operant word here is "applied." One of the other posters said it best. Even if one reads the "Pedagogical Truth" in a forum like this one, there's no guarantee that student will apply it best for themselves.

To assume students will simply "sort these out about as well as anyone" may be an accurate statement, but to my mind thats not a teacher offering advice. It's just talk for talk's sake (and I am being very kind characterizing it this way.)

Students who want to improve their playing 1) need to have their playing heard by people who can best help them apply answers to their playing (that is after all why some folks call them "applied lessons.") Students also 2) need input from those who have the insight and ability to help them play their best. The two go hand-in-hand.

DB Phelps
Boulder CO

Follow Ups: