Re: Re: Re: Re: Try this:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 16, 2004 at 13:51:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Try this: posted by Joe Baker on February 16, 2004 at 12:35:00:

Fact is, one of the main reasons for the decline of orchestras is the decline of respect for fine things at all levels of society. People used to admire the so-called upper classes and their civilized lifestyle, and they wanted to emulate them. Going to a concert was a way to do that.

Now, the first reaction of people (even people with lots of money) is to hate those who have wealth and be cynical about expressions of wealthy culture. People are interested in looking good, but being dressed up isn't part of that formula any more. Ten years ago, I wore a suit daily. Now, I wear jeans to the office on most days. I like that, but it's a sign of lessening respect for the appearance of high civilization.

I think that for orchestras to survive, they are going to have to find a way to present classical music without the high civilization, in a more relaxed environment and without the snootiness. Of course, temper tantrums won't achieve that, even though we watch them with a fascinated horror. But nostalgia for expressions of high culture won't solve the problem, either.

(Yes, I know this changes the direction of this thread, heh, heh.)

Rick "who recalls when Andre Previn left the Houston Symphony with a boot-print on his posterior because of his l'enfant terrible behavior" Denney

Follow Ups: