Re: Re: Re: How to land gigs in new area

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Knows the situation on February 16, 2004 at 22:37:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: How to land gigs in new area posted by Perhaps on February 16, 2004 at 22:14:42:

Hypothetically -

You have just moved to Seattle and you are an above-average tuba player. Not great by any stretch, but your ego says to other people that you think you are. You come from a small, private college conservatory from the East coast and you bring an attitude the size of Mars. You rarely practice and talk about how unmotivated you are. You constantly whine and complain about the quality of the groups and the people in them. Other tuba players who you know often hear how much better you are than them. So and so works at the big software company and doesn't have a music degree, so he can't be any good. Also, he's an ass because he owns a very expensive German rotary BBb and doesn't deserve it. You constantly devalue the fine, professional quality tubas you own and are constantly talking about buying the latest and greatest instrument that will get you next NY Phil or Singapore opening. You drop the names of the great tuba players that you've shared an elevator with at one time or another any chance you get. On top of all this, you announce to everyone that you will only be in the area for 11 months. How do expect people will react? Do you think anyone wants you to play in their ensemble given the above? Not likely. This can all be cured with maturity and self-confidence (read: not arrogance). Trust me. I've been there. Even at 37, I still go there occassionally. Growing more and more as time goes on is something we all do. Look carefully at yourself, don't blame others for your lack of opportunities and make a plan for the future.

God, I sound like Joe S., but this is how it is. You don't need a lot of opinions on this topic, just a truthful look at your personality.

You have the talent to go far, just fine the discipline to achieve your potential.

Follow Ups: