Re: School-horn debate

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on February 18, 2004 at 19:39:50:

In Reply to: School-horn debate posted by SHS Tubamaster on February 18, 2004 at 16:46:35:

Sorry to hear about your horn.

This week a number of area schools are closed, including the one where our brass band normally practices on Tuesday evenings. Fortunately one of our members is a director at a different high school, and we were able to practice there. It's his first year at this particular school. While we were there, he took a couple of us back to the closet/storage area and asked us to take a look at the tuba situation he had inherrited. A couple of old Miraphone 186s, some sort of tiny 3/4 Miraphone (180 or 181 BBb?) and a couple of Olds. To my view, the Miraphones were absoluely beat to Sh**. I couldn't believe that students would "abuse" instruments like that. Short of throwing an instrument on the ground or using it as a club, I'm not even sure how some of the damage could have even happened. Interestingly, Dan Oberloh just shrugged and said "This is pretty typical of what I see coming in from schools. WOW. That floored me.

I guess I just can't relate from my experience in a public school. I played on horns there that were kept in excellent condition year after year...by the students.

Anyway, it was an eye opener, and I have a new appreciation for some of the posts I've read here on the topic.

Tony E

Follow Ups: