Re: Schmidt tuba or St. Pete

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on February 19, 2004 at 19:44:05:

In Reply to: Schmidt tuba or St. Pete posted by Ralf on February 17, 2004 at 13:26:17:

I think another good alternative is the Meinl-Weston 25.

These horns have a long and proven history, especially in school band situations. I haven't seen a new one in a long time, but the ones I saw and played in years past have had very good intonation, and were built to withstand a bomb blast. Many of the high schools in the area where I grew up had them (my school had Mir 186's-lucky me), and they were great playing horns. Contact Dave Fedderly (AT) Baltimore Brass. He had some recently at a price close enough to the others to make it worthwhile given quality issues.

The St. Pete's: suspect construction, inadequate bracing, and mediocre at best valves, crummy finish. The valve problem in greatly exacerbated by letting them sit for 6+ months through the summer and marching band season. The valves WILL seize up, and you WILL have to disassemble them, soak them in vinegar overnight, oil them, and reassemble them every November before rehearsals for your Christmas concert. For a school band program, you want horns with a 10-15 year life expectancy or better. St. Petes will give you considerably less than that, knowing how kids tend to treat school horns.

Schmidt/VMI: no experience, no opinion.

Follow Ups: