Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Consumerism & Emails

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on February 20, 2004 at 13:30:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Consumerism & Emails posted by Mary Ann on February 20, 2004 at 13:03:11:

But isn't this a false choice? No one is suggesting that anyone, let alone a craftsman, should be sitting in front of his computer for a significant part of the day. My point is that if you are going to publish an email address, emails should be replied to within 24 hours.

My job bears certain similarities to Matts, actually. I fix computer programs, and occasionally write new ones. A lot of our customers would love to have my email or phone number, but they can't get it, precisely because of the impact it would have on my productivity. Instead, there are less trained individuals who actually take the calls and emails, weed out the easy questions/kooks/wrong numbers, then pass the emails to me, to be processed a couple of times a day. Sometimes I kick back an answer for the screener to relay, sometimes I call the person directly to get additional info, but everyone gets some kind of reply from someone within (in our case) one hour. They will have a response from me within one day. Those numbers are arbitrary, but in a case like Matt's, where his skill is a valuable rarity, the business might do well to hire a promising high school player to front-end the phones and emails.

Joe Baker, who thinks a guy like Matt Walters should have some assistance on this sort of thing.

Follow Ups: