Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Consumerism & Emails

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Statman on February 20, 2004 at 16:49:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Consumerism & Emails posted by try harder on February 20, 2004 at 14:42:04:

That's a little harsh, especially since the locals often cannot afford to try to service the niche market we live in.

When I was in College (a large state university with very good reputation for tuba instruction), I knew 2 students who owned their own tuba. Both of them are names that have shown up on this forum as professionals, and one bought his first horn from the other.

The local guy here (who has a good reputation, and hosts the Tuba Christmas) has exactly 1 tuba in his shop (other than used sousaphones). It's a horn that is quite limited in it's application, was custom ordered and then rejected by the buyer. He's been stuck with it for years and will not buy another tuba to sell until he gets rid of it. (I tried it out and found it wasn't for me for many reasons.)

By e-mailing, calling, and visiting one of the "big 3" (Dillon, BBC, WWBW) I was able to really get a handle on the tuba I wanted. Eventually, the available funds will bring that baby home. I had certain expectations when I e-mailed that were different than when I called. I had certain expectations when I called that were different than when I visited. When I visited, their service was above and beyond, even though I made it very clear up front I couldn't buy a horn that day. Guess what. If (or when) I buy a new horn, it will be from that dealer, even if I never visit again. I was treated that well on all aspects of my communication with them. My e-mail communications with another of that group has been just as satisfactory.

The advent of the web, especially with it's ablity to locate niche market sources has drastically improved the choices for the average tuba consumer. Until I started lurking here, I had no idea that any of the big three existed, since I am not in the music business. But in the end, it's the personal touch that will get sales of an item--such as a tuba--where each customer is looking for something a little different.

As far as CDs replacing the local symphony, that's another discussion.

Statman

Follow Ups: