Re: Re: Any suggestions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 21, 2004 at 17:32:25:

In Reply to: Re: Any suggestions? posted by a on February 21, 2004 at 16:36:37:

Instead of the kitchen supply section (where you will find floral patterns), go to the automobile/tools section. You should be able to find it in black - intended for lining the drawers of toolchests.

I find that this helps, and I use it - but I still have occasional problems. The usual problem is that it grips the tuba more securely than it grips the fabric of my pants. So...one hint is to cut yourself a VERY LARGE piece of the fabric, and consider tucking it into your belt.

But, I was at Gene Pokorny's master class at TUSABTEC and am becoming convinced of the utility of a stand. I bought one a couple of years ago to evaluate and didn't think it was worth the hassle of carrying it around (so I donated it to the high school band program; I think they are using it in the junior high band room).

The problem with stands seems to be that they fall apart. If I get one, I'll insist on a parts list and immediately purchase a bag of nuts/bolts/washers/etc. in anticipation of the inevitable.

I suppose that if you are Gene Pokorny you can get a brand new stand (for evaluation and endorsement) every week, if necessary.

Last Tuesday, Rick Denney looked like he needed a bearer - he was toting two tubas (you all know which ones they were) and a very large, industrial strength stand (what brand was that, Rick?) On Thursday, Todd Morgan brought a DEG stand with *many* replacement parts. Todd plays a Conn 5XJ (the expensive version of my King 2341). I'm sure Rick used the stand for the Holton 345 - I don't know if he uses it for the B&S F.

At present, my King 2341 is "tuned at the factory". But, there might be a time when its intonation gets noticably worse (the key word there was "noticably") and I might feel the need to pull a slide or two (right now, I only feel this need on the -rare- low Eb). When that time comes, I'm sure that I'll be *much* more likely to use a stand.

Follow Ups: