Re: Fingers Slowing Down

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Drummers method book on February 22, 2004 at 18:25:08:

In Reply to: Fingers Slowing Down posted by Randy Beschorner on February 22, 2004 at 17:19:59:

The best illustrated hand-warm-up instruction I ever saw, was in a drummers method book. Actually it was a now 20 years old Danish instruction in the use of Latin percussion, so that very book hardly will be available to you.

But I am sure a similar instruction can be found in your language.

A few exercises from he top of my head:

Clench your fists as hard as possible (short finger nails are the smart option here)

Spread your stretched fingers as far as possible

Fold your hands and stretch your arms with the palms away from your body

Fold your hands and try to press your fingers through the back of the opposite hand

Rub each finger with the thumb and index of the opposite hand (also works as a great thumb exercise, but like with any other exercise: it is OK to feel resistance, but not to feel pain)

If the parts of your instrument, where you rest your hands, feel cold, then cover these instrument parts with acid free leather or the like (that is why I like instruments with a "fat" lacquer)

If there is anything uncomfortable to your playing position, then try to optimise the position by means of a stand or the like

During non-playing time (rests and conductor's instructions) make sure that the weight of the instrument does not put stress on any body part (I use a playing stand PLUS a resting stand for my euph as well as my tubas)

If any body part is unduly tense through the playing situation, then this will give negative influence to your flow of air as well as your flow of thoughts

Klaus

Follow Ups: