Re: Re: Re: Marine fleet band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken on February 23, 2004 at 22:42:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Marine fleet band posted by Leland on February 23, 2004 at 21:57:05:

Leland's info is probably more accurate and up to date. Even so, I'll bet he agrees with my overall point that unless you're actually in "The President's Own" (which incidentally requires a Top Secret Scty clearance) "you ain't special" as far as the Corps is concerned. Hindsight being 20/20, what I should have done when my enlistment was up was practice up and re-enlist as a musician for one of the fleet bands. I may not have passed the audition but it wouldv'e been worth a shot! As it was, the MP field was full but The Corps said they'd be happy to send me to grunt or EOD school (NOT).

You're right, "ICT" was done away with shortly after General Gray became Commandant in the late 80s. The overall concept was replaced by "BWT" or Basic warrior training. It was funny..when I went back reserve, as a tanker, I had to go back to school at Ft. Knox. All these kids who were attending their 1st school kept asking me about "line training" and various other things I'd never heard of...hell, when I first enlisted we didn't even wear name tags!!

Prior to Gen Gray (under Gen Kelly), only 0311s went to infantry school unlike years WAY before when ALL marines went. The 10 days or so I spent in the field at PI were enough :)

The last time I did any active duty was about 5 years ago when . Then at least, cobat arms or not, every swinging hoo-haa went to additional infantry training at Camp Geiger or somewhere at Camp Pendleton (sp). I would imagine that's the MCT Leland is refering to. I really thought it was longer. Anyway, If that's no longer the case so be it. My advice to the prospective member remains (and I'm sure you'll agree)..."Make damn sure of your motives before to go Marine Corps because if can't qualify with a rifle or pass a PFT, or you're not willing to become a grunt in a given situation, it's not for you." If it's not in writing, it very well may not happen.

Although other branches will immediately say otherwise, the USMC is VERY different from any other branch. I went through Army Basic and MP school prior to going active Marine (at which time I started all over and went to PI) and it was like comparing apples to oranges. I'm NOT saying better or worse just VERY, VERY different.

Thanks for getting me up to date :)

Semper Fi,

Ken

Follow Ups: