Re: Re: 5th valve on BBb. Good Idea?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 24, 2004 at 18:42:04:

In Reply to: Re: 5th valve on BBb. Good Idea? posted by Bee F Latta on February 24, 2004 at 18:05:27:

There is an anecdotal report that John Fletcher had the fifth valve removed from his Holton BAT because it was more open with just four.

But Jay Bertolet had fifth valves added to various tubas, including a large Cerveny 601, and noted no difference in the playability or sound.

As to the rotor in the leadpipe, I would not worry about it as long as you don't mess up the geometry of the leadpipe. Nearly all five-valve contrabass rotary tubas have the fifth valve upstream from the first. And I have not noticed any problem with the Rusk conversions where he placed the fifth in the leadpipe. I suspect that there is nothing inherent in that placement that causes a problem, but of course anything might be a problem on any given instrument.

Rick "thinking a rotary valve and tubing big enough might be hard to find for the fatter tubing downstream of the main slide, at least for a reasonable cost" Denney

Rick "

Follow Ups: