Re: HELP! suggestion needed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DS on February 25, 2004 at 01:29:23:

In Reply to: HELP! suggestion needed posted by Terry Timberlake on February 25, 2004 at 01:14:57:

I started learning tuba as a professional double about four months ago. It's a great instrument! After a life of playing only slide instruments, the tuba seems easy. (No flames--I know that no instrument is easy at the highest level--not even saw or saxophone.) A tuba doesn't shake in your hands when you try to nail a fast, technical lick. The tuba vibrates to life in your lap. Being close to all of that sound is amazing. It is a joy to play. It is harder to play a solo with clarity on a contrabass tuba than on trombone (but you are less likely to get a gliss at the wrong time ;)

The question is: what are your carreer goals? There are more playing spots for trombonists. There are more college teaching positions for trombonists. If I had started as a tuba player, it is probably less likely that I would have a college job.

If you are going to teach band in the public schools, pick the instrument that you enjoy the most and go for it.

There were a couple of times I considered switching instruments during my undergraduate years. Mostly this was due to frustration. I practiced harder and overcame some obstacles. If you are "stuck" on trombone, try doubling up on your practice time to see if you can push through the barrier. How far along are you in your trombone studies?

Follow Ups: