Re: Re: Martin tuba bits

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on February 25, 2004 at 22:01:19:

In Reply to: Re: Martin tuba bits posted by Bill V. on February 25, 2004 at 21:17:59:

So far so good. It has a great sound, but I have trouble getting much above a C above the staff on it, although I can get to the F above without much trouble on most of my other BBbs. The low range is open and the false tones pop out down to the pedal Bb, which is a good thing for a 3 valve. I haven't found any major intonation problems so far, but haven't spent much time with it. It does seem to be better in tune than the Conn 2Xjs that I have owned, but it doesn't have quite the presence that they had.

It has been completely overhauled including valve replating and relacquering. There are still marks from where dents were removed, but it looks great. They even shipped a new mouthpiece with it, although it's a generic 24AW that will probably never get used. When I spoke with the sales rep he said that it was a horn that they had received in trade that had been sitting around and they just wanted to get their repair costs out of it. It was a pleasure dealing with Taylor Music.

Follow Ups: