Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on raw brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on March 04, 2004 at 12:39:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on raw brass posted by Lee Stofer on March 04, 2004 at 08:19:43:

Lee,

Thanks for the feedback.

BTW - If one was to send in an old 4 valved Alex to be plated, what seems to be the going rate these days?

When sending stuff to Anderson, our shop personnel were required to send an instrument fully buffed, ragged,
degreased, and wrapped in white, low-nap flannel. Was that a requirement of Anderson or a $$$-saving measure by our foreman? Or was it an attempt to avoid buffed-off bell engraving and the like? (We had problems with them regarding that very issue back in the late 70's according to the store owner.)

And could I hand-polish my tuba, degrease it and send it in for plating (as per your description)? I do not like lacquered tubas at all (in a cosmetic sense) but like silver quite a bit. But I am afraid of the buffing process being performed by someone who does not make their living with the horn, if you know what I mean; just worrying about someone else messing with my horn.

I will most likely just leave it alone. It is in good shape as is. (But silver would look really nice . . . heh, heh, heh . . . )

Regards,

Wade

Follow Ups: