Re: Mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on January 03, 2000 at 01:14:39:

In Reply to: Mouthpieces posted by Joe S. on January 02, 2000 at 23:45:59:

Joe,
If you use the archives option at the top of the BBS screen, you'll find that there have been countless hundreds of threads regarding mouthpieces. I think if you really used that first, you'd find more info. on mouthpieces than you could ever possiblly hope for. To answer one of your questions, YES, of course lip size and mouth size are a factor. That's why, for me, mouthpieces are a very personal choice, and I often times find it strange when people talk about using the right mouthpiece as though those choices should be universal for everybody. There was even one posting where somebody suggested that one mouthpiece was correct for rotory valves, and another better for piston valves. How could anybody draw such a conclusion? Before you jump into the m.p. switching game (and it can, indeed, become a game), you should work closely with your teacher, or get yourself a good tuba teacher. Switching back and forth on m.p.'s can become counter-productive, so you should make your choice (or choices) almost as seriously as buying a horn and most of all, stick with that choice long enough to learn how the changes in dimensions, wall thickness, rim shape, etc. effect how you and your horn make music together. That way, you'll become educated on what mouthpieces do and don't do in a real and tangible way - not by reading that someone says the PT109 is the right mouthpiece for the M.W. 2000 millenium model, etc. Good luck, but be practical and use good common sense.

Follow Ups: